Friday, March 14, 2014

Highs and lows. The Tall Creek Shooting Range & I'll be at the Birmingham Gun Show this weekend.

Well, I'm back from that spate of family business and I am exhausted in about as many ways as you can be exhausted. Anybody who tells you that the business we're in isn't spiritual warfare with an evil enemy that will use any means to get to you doesn't understand the battlefield. Keep me in your prayers.
On a more pleasant note, one of the highs of the trip was a stop at the Tall Creek Shooting Range run by Tommy Easterling at 139 Long Branch Loop in Ellisville, MS. Mr. Easterling has an excellent rifle and pistol range as well as a sporting clays facility and my daughter and I spent some wonderful range time there familiarizing her with her Star PD .45. (I've always liked the Star, and this is a stainless copy built early, circa 1976 or so. The trigger is particularly sweet.) To arrange to use the facility, you have but to call Mr. Easterling on his cell at 601-520-8831, or at 601-5682-4012. Day shooting is $10.00 each. To give you an idea of Mr. Easterling's commitment, he opened up the range the same day he was called away to a funeral in the morning because of a death in the family. While we waited with no one else there, and for lack of anything better to do, I pulled out my trusty little magnet from my coat pocket and sorted his brass for him into ferrous and non-ferrous, looking for just a couple of calibers that we're going to be loading shortly -- .45-70, 7.62x39 and the ever-scarce .44 Special. My score was 34 .45-70, a half dozen 7.62x39 and one .44 Special. (Silly, I know, but you have to take your relaxation where you can find it. Some people golf. Go figure.) When he arrived, I offered to buy the brass I was interested in and he just traded me for the labor of the sorting. Anyway, we had a great time shooting, it was a wonderful stress reliever, and I recommend this range to anyone in the Pine Belt who wants to do some recreational shooting.
I will be working a table at the AGCA's Birmingham gun show this weekend if anybody wants to drop by and chat. Unless my health erupts again, I will be working all day long both Saturday and Sunday. Sorry, no firearms of my own for sale -- I long-ago formally transferred all but a couple to my family members. Look for the white haired old man wearing the black "Arms Smuggler" hat. Of course I report to the hospital on Monday morning early for the next surgery. Again, keep me in your prayers.

No comments: